Skip to main content

Week 1B: Social Media Use Today

From the airport to Sunday mass, the supermarket or a blind date, it is impossible to step out into the world without the constant reinforcement that to participate in modern society you must be on social media. Countless retailers offer exclusive deals to their followers. Employers leave a section on job applications to list your socials. With each passing year since the invention of social media, participation becomes less of a choice and more of an obligation. Those who choose to withdrawal from virtual interaction are less seen as independent decision makers and more as fringe outcasts. While social media has opened our world in ways never imagined, it has also cleverly integrated to consumerism, false narratives, and lack of authenticity into each of our lives.

My initial reaction when asked “what do you think about social media” is less of a word and more of a feeling. My head speeds up a bit as I am insistently reminded that beyond this face to face interaction, there is a whole other world I am currently missing out on by diverting my eyes up. There is an entire world of likes and comments from distant friends, flash sales on my favorite leggings, a new donut shop I have to try before it gets too popular. Social media has broken down our nuanced balance emotions and turned them into a commodity. TikTok is intentionally addictive in its design, giving users and instant hit of oxytocin with every swipe. The dopamine boost from an instagram post like and comment is similar to that of taking a drag from a cigarette. Linkden is meant to encourage professional connection, but in its function becomes a breakdown of who’s worked where for how long taking away personal insight into the person who’s profile your connecting with- potentially causing professional connections to NOT be made based based on work history stats. 

At this point we all know how easy it is to fake it online, which leads me to wonder what is social media even achieving? We know that ads are so cleverly integrative that no product is mentioned without an endorsement. We know that if you meet an influencer on the street they probably doesn’t look the way they do online or live the lifestyle they portray. I feel that the future of successfully utilizing social media will come from authenticity. Social media created a new highly informed consumer. In response to that online sales tactics have become more and more deceitful, subliminal and often promoting a feeling of missing out. I think that in the future, social media users will grow exhausted by the smoke and mirrors the social media world has become. We will increasingly see people crave REAL connection. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2A: Communication Between Business & Consumer

      There's no question that social media has drastically changed the relationship between businesses and consumers. The main factor enacting this change is the way social platforms have streamlined each parties ability to communicate with one another. Through the targeted ad options provided by platforms like facebook, instagram and yelp, companies can now create hyper-specific profiles of the type of consumer they wish to see their ad. For example, I am a health nut. I'd guess 80% of my internet searches are surrounding nutrition, spiritual wellness, exercise, or researching health related goods and services. On top of that, most accounts I follow besides from personal friends and family are in the personal wellness field. Because of this, nearly all of my ads are products in this category. Teas, workout programs, yoga retreats, the companies selling these products have worked with social media platforms to determine i am a likely purchaser, and pay to ensure their content

Week 1A: My Blog Theme

      When choosing a blog theme, I debated my options. I first considered something custom, flashy, and artistic. Something unforgettable. However, upon playing around with this concept, everything felt a bit too busy. My next consideration was to go hyper minimalist. While the clean lines and neutral colors relaxed my lizard brain, the overall mood of my blog felt to blank to be an expression of myself. I suddenly realized that this theme debacle represented an issue I have found myself grabbling with time and time again.      My personal aesthetic is difficult to define. Sofia Coppola's film Marie Antoinette is something of a dream to me. Everything colorful, ornate, details and design bursting from every angle. My favorite couture designers have always been maxi-mists. Vivienne Westwood, Jean Paul Gaultuer, Alexander McQueen- not known for their restraint on the runway. However, when it comes to my personal spaces, my home, my furniture and linen preferences, the kind of archit

Week 3A: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding

1.      The first website I see issues with is that of MGBD Parts. The mixed font sizes and colors is very disorienting and its hard to focus on any one point they are trying to get across. Also, there isn't a clean introduction page, you are just thrown into a messy homepage with images and font spread all over the page, nothing is centering your attention and its hard to know where you're supposed to look. Thirdly, the page is very outdated, it gives the impression that the owner hasn't taken time to modernize their company and may not provide top tier service.      The second website I visited was Penny Juice. Like MGBD Parts, the homepage is not giving me a clear message as to where they want me to go. I cant tell if they're selling a product, raising money, or just an info page. I also feel that the stock images that they put on their website steer me away from trusting their product, as it gives me the impression that there isn't tremendous pride in their bran