Skip to main content

Week 13A: Online Advertising- Analysis of The Marketplace

Recently, I've struggled to enjoy social media because of the never ending stream of ads. Some are obvious campaigns posted and paid for by the company that's promoting themselves. I commonly see these when I'm flicking through the "stories" section on Instagram. They're usually either promoting a sale or have a tag line that draws viewers in to click on the add ("keep the little ones entertained...more.") Sometimes the ads are of items I had been previously looking at on my safari app without purchasing. This tells me that their intention is to remind you of the items you already showed interest in, a "did you forget something?" strategy. The story ads are always algorithmic and either exact companies I've looked at or similar companies. 



Increasingly I see more subliminal ads. Accounts that I follow posting a product that their paid to promote in the background of their post or casually using a product. Instagram influencers heavily use this subtle advertising technique. One popular example is the influencer favorite, tooth whitening lights. As you can see below, there are different types of posting to promote the same product. Some are clearly staged photos that look like a traditional ad. Others are much more casual, quirky photos you might just post because it's cute. The latter is definitely a more successful tool. It's not an annoying ad that's blatantly trying to sell a product. More so it's selling a lifestyle. Another example of this that I've noticed is certain designers using influencers to promote their brand. In the last year, the fashion houses Balenciaga and Mugler began heavily relying on influencers to portray that they are the "it" brand. Influencers post themselves in the clothes and tag the company, but because it's not a traditional ad they can omit the legal obligation of putting #ad in the subtitle. It says, this is what the cool kids wear, if you wear it you will be cool too. 


When I think of traditional advertising, I always think about insurance companies. Theres a handful of companies that are essentially selling the same thing. To stand out they create characters and rely on humorous antidotes that make their name memorable. Flo from Progressive, the Geico Gecko, Mayhem from Allstate. Other companies use this strategy as well. The Charmain Bears, the Energizer Bunny, Tony the Tiger. By making a recognizable character, these companies establish a rapport with consumers. Another traditional tool advertisers use is the emotional element. Car commercials rarely talk about the vehicle but rather show a families journey, how their Volvo helped them make treasured memories. Overall, traditional advertising is more cinematic and higher budget. I think that these traditional tools are universally more successful than social media advertising. However, for younger audiences social media is absolutely the most effective strategy because it sells a lifestyle. The places online where I see more traditional practices being used is on Youtube (two below) and on News Websites. Here you will see ads which are derivative of the ones on TV just shorter in length. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9B: Using Categories

 The categories I would use on my blog would be Recipes, Health, and Meet our Team. Recipes would feature innovative ways you can use the product to make other more complex recipes. For example, using our Asparagus Pea Mash to make a hearty green veggie soup. Health would be for posts about infant and child nutrition, which explains why our recipes are designed the way they are. Finally, Meet our Team would be a monthly series in which we highlight one of our team members or venders. I feel that this will be a great way for new customers to get to know our business from a human to human level. In my opinion, by highlighting our team members and vendors we will build trust with our customers and build a stronger sense of community. 

Week 2A: Communication Between Business & Consumer

      There's no question that social media has drastically changed the relationship between businesses and consumers. The main factor enacting this change is the way social platforms have streamlined each parties ability to communicate with one another. Through the targeted ad options provided by platforms like facebook, instagram and yelp, companies can now create hyper-specific profiles of the type of consumer they wish to see their ad. For example, I am a health nut. I'd guess 80% of my internet searches are surrounding nutrition, spiritual wellness, exercise, or researching health related goods and services. On top of that, most accounts I follow besides from personal friends and family are in the personal wellness field. Because of this, nearly all of my ads are products in this category. Teas, workout programs, yoga retreats, the companies selling these products have worked with social media platforms to determine i am a likely purchas...

Week 14A: Social Media Management Tools

Nunu is currently a one person operation, two if you include my mom helping me watch after the baby! Because of this, I feel that SocialPilot will be the best social media management service for me. They do not offer a free service but their paid plan is very affordable, the basic version being $42.50 a month which allow access for up to three users. This plan helps in scheduling posts for up to 20 social media accounts. They will also give analytics of accounts and help with customer support. I don't think that I will be using any management service initially. The daily operation for my business allots for an entire day dedicated to social media and community outreach. See below: Saturday: Go to vendors to pick up product for the first batch of deliveries.   Sunday: Prepare meals for the first delivery route.   Monday: First delivery route of the week (delivery schedule is designed to accommodate customers work schedule. There will be morning, afternoon, and evening deliver...