Skip to main content

Week 8A: How To Expand Your Reach on Instagram by Using Hashtags

 1. @amarababyfood

2. @_goodyfoody_

3. @hellomamamade

4. @babyaahar


1. The first account I looked at is an organic baby food company called Amara Baby Food. 

They have 54.9 K followers, so I feels it's safe to say that they are successfully using hashtags to attract followers to their page. They post on their page at least once a day and they always have updated stories. They use a lot of hashtags. One thing that stood out about their hashtag usage is how specific they are. They use tags like "#7monthsold" and "#babyweaningrecipes." This is very smart to me because they are going to attract users that are looking for a very specific need, not just a general category like #babyfood. They also do not use the same tags in each post. They cater the specific tags to whatever they are posting, which is determined by the particular product that's being promoted. Some products are for infants, some are snack food, sometimes they post recipes. It's always very specific and it ranges across multiple types of searches. They are placing their hashtags below whatever caption they wrote, you only see the hashtags if you select "more" which I feel keeps their posts looking clean and avoids the feeling of overwhelmingness. Their posts do come up when I look at their more specific tags like "seventeenmonthold" but not when I click on a more broad tag like "Weaningbaby." Considering how many followers they do not receive many comments or likes, usually between 5-10 comments and likes in the early to mid hundreds.

2. GoodFoody is a litte different from Amara as it's more of a blog type page. It is run by a German parent that is also a psychologist. I chose to look at this page because it is in a different country and language and I thought it would be interesting to analyze how a social account is run on the other side of the world. This page also has a significant amount of followers (69.9k) and they receive a lot more interaction than Amara's page did. Their posts receive thousands of likes and hundreds of comments, which proportionally makes more sense that Amara's ratio. They do use hashtags, however I don't understand them because they're in German. That being said, when I clicked on the hashtags in their posts I did see their content on the explore page! This is a more educational page than a product marketing page, so I feel it makes sense that they receive so much more engagement. Their posts aren't ads but rather informational videos. This page posts rarely, the last post being on May 16th and the one before that March 10. I'm still happy to have analyzed this page because I feel I got to compare two pages with close follower numbers but vastly different content and in that vastly different engagement. 

3. Hellomamamade is another Organic Baby Food company. This company is based in the United Kingdom and has 50k followers. This page is inconsistent with their hashtag use. About 1/3 of their posts use hashtags. I don't think they're using the best tags to attract customers looking for a baby food company. They tag things like "#motherhood" and "#foodie" which in my opinion aren't specific enough to attract an engaged following. This shows in that their posts get very few likes, always less that 100. Their comments are also low, most not having a single one. In relation to their large following number, their engagement shows me that they are not successfully running this page. I assume that many of these followers are purchased, or maybe the UK clientele have a different way of engaging with business pages than the typical US customer. 

4. I wanted to look at a page with a smaller following, so I chose to examine Babyaahar, an account with only 5,402 followers. They are also a homemade baby food company, and seem to be a very mom and pop operation. Their page is mostly infographics with home videos of children and the product sprinkled in between. They engagement is also low. Very few comments and between 20-50 likes per post. Similarly to hellomamamade their hashtags are pretty generic. "#momsofinstagram" "#newmoms" and "#babymama" are the kinds of tags you see in all of their posts. They are also inconsistent in using hashtags, every other one not using any. I feel that this is a business with a really great concept and great content but will be more successful if they learn to use more specific hashtags. They post a few times a month, but not as frequently as more successful pages I looked at. Their videos definitely get more traction than the infographics, which I would encourage them to lean further into. 

In this exercise I learned that the more specific I can be with my hashtags the more successful I will be. I also saw that videos seem to be more attractive to the clientele I'm looking for. My ideal audience is new parents and health concious families. Some of the hashtags I plan to use are as follows:

#healthybabyfood
#infantnutrition
#babynutrition
#organicbabyfood
#babyweaningrecipes
#weaningrecipes
#freshbabyfood
#nutritionalfood
#6monthbaby
#7monthbaby
#8monthbaby
#9monthbaby
#10monthbaby


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2A: Communication Between Business & Consumer

      There's no question that social media has drastically changed the relationship between businesses and consumers. The main factor enacting this change is the way social platforms have streamlined each parties ability to communicate with one another. Through the targeted ad options provided by platforms like facebook, instagram and yelp, companies can now create hyper-specific profiles of the type of consumer they wish to see their ad. For example, I am a health nut. I'd guess 80% of my internet searches are surrounding nutrition, spiritual wellness, exercise, or researching health related goods and services. On top of that, most accounts I follow besides from personal friends and family are in the personal wellness field. Because of this, nearly all of my ads are products in this category. Teas, workout programs, yoga retreats, the companies selling these products have worked with social media platforms to determine i am a likely purchaser, and pay to ensure their content

Week 1A: My Blog Theme

      When choosing a blog theme, I debated my options. I first considered something custom, flashy, and artistic. Something unforgettable. However, upon playing around with this concept, everything felt a bit too busy. My next consideration was to go hyper minimalist. While the clean lines and neutral colors relaxed my lizard brain, the overall mood of my blog felt to blank to be an expression of myself. I suddenly realized that this theme debacle represented an issue I have found myself grabbling with time and time again.      My personal aesthetic is difficult to define. Sofia Coppola's film Marie Antoinette is something of a dream to me. Everything colorful, ornate, details and design bursting from every angle. My favorite couture designers have always been maxi-mists. Vivienne Westwood, Jean Paul Gaultuer, Alexander McQueen- not known for their restraint on the runway. However, when it comes to my personal spaces, my home, my furniture and linen preferences, the kind of archit

Week 3A: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding

1.      The first website I see issues with is that of MGBD Parts. The mixed font sizes and colors is very disorienting and its hard to focus on any one point they are trying to get across. Also, there isn't a clean introduction page, you are just thrown into a messy homepage with images and font spread all over the page, nothing is centering your attention and its hard to know where you're supposed to look. Thirdly, the page is very outdated, it gives the impression that the owner hasn't taken time to modernize their company and may not provide top tier service.      The second website I visited was Penny Juice. Like MGBD Parts, the homepage is not giving me a clear message as to where they want me to go. I cant tell if they're selling a product, raising money, or just an info page. I also feel that the stock images that they put on their website steer me away from trusting their product, as it gives me the impression that there isn't tremendous pride in their bran